I thought that I found the perfect glycerin-water solution on Tuesday. The mixture wasn’t close to what I calculated, but- it worked. It held up beautifully, despite less than ideal conditions. We thought we were ready to let the diffusion experiment start, but today, the tracer fluid sunk to the bottom.

It’s starting to look like the theoretical might work better for the the actual experiment. I’m not sure why, since the conditions for the trials I did were held in pretty good conditions (constant temperature) and sometimes arguably worse (I would inject the tracer fluid with a syringe held, so it wasn’t terribly steady).

Advertisements